Model 8260 12-port PICMG 2.16 GbE switch
DSS Network's Metro-Switch Model 8260 is an advanced high-performance, full-featured L2+/L3 6U Gigabit Ethernet switch fabric board. It features 12 ports of 10/100/1000 Base T Gigabit Ethernet over copper. It is PICMG 2.16 fabric card compliant and compatible with both standard Compact PCI and PICMG 2.16 backplanes. All 12-ports may be routed to slots on the Compact PCI backplane or externally via rear I/O. It has an onboard RISC microcontroller for onboard management and can be operated as a standalone unmanaged "plug-and-run" or fully managed switch. LEDS are provided for each port showing link status, transmit and receive and link quality. All LEDS are multifunction and can be used for additional functions including cable testing and energy detection. It is also PICMG 2.1 R2.0 hot-swap compliant providing support for the hardware connection layer.
The model 8260 uses the latest advanced high-performance, full-featured and highly integrated 12-port Broadcom BCM5696 (L3+) or BCM5698 (L2+) switch devices* and BCM5464SR quad-port transceivers and is fully 802.3 compliant. It provides a fully non-blocking 24Gb/32 million frames per second aggregate switching fabric. The switching function supports an extended list of features including layer 3 switching, link aggregation, 802.1Q VLANs, 802.1D spanning tree and priority-based 802.1D/802.1p CoS/traffic class expediting and dynamic multicast filtering.
The Model 8260 has an onboard microcontoller for operating in unmanaged mode. In addition, many 3rd party vendors offer fully managed switch and network management software supporting the industry standard Broadcom switch device(s) on the Model 8260.
The Metro-Switch model 8260 12-port switch is targeted for OEMs and Systems Integrators for use in Data and Telecommunications products including switches, multiplexers, edge routers, media gateways and video broadcasting equipment. It is well suited for support of embedded broadband applications including Internet voice, digital video, IP security, network monitoring, military applications and test equipment. Ruggedized models including extended temperature and conformal coating are available.
* Optionable with Broadcom BCM5696 or BCM5698 for reduced cost models.
- 4th generation BCM5696 or BCM5698 switch fabric and BCM5464SRKB quad port transceivers from Broadcom
- High performance wire speed on all ports - 24Gb aggregate total
- Up to 32,000,000 frames per second maximum switching rate
- Onboard microcontroller/firmware for configuration, management and health monitoring
- Cell and packet based "head of line" blocking prevention
- 1MB of onboard memory for packet buffering
- Extended ethernet frame sizes to 9KB
- Fully compliant to IEEE 802.3 specifications including auto negotiation
- Rules-based layer 2-7 packet classification & filtering
- 4 multi-function LEDS per port
- PICMG 2.16 6U fabric card compliant
- PICMG 2.9 hot-swap compliant for hardware connection layer
- 32-bit, 66 MHZ PCI bus interface
- 802.1Q VLANs, 802.1D spanning tree and priority-based 802.1D/802.1p CoS
- Onboard Motorola DSP56F826 80 MHZ RISC microcontroller for onboard configuration and control
- JTAG port supports 3rd party IDE and debugger
- Packets can be routed over PCI bus to external processor
- RMON, SNMP, Ethernet and extended MIB Statistics
- FCC compliant